Homemaker but not just a homemaker

Hello again! It's been more than 3 weeks since my last post! Gah. My husband has been making fun of me saying, "you're not a blogger!" He keeps me on track. Being as it was recently mother's day, I thought I would touch on how I became a homemaker. Back when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby, my husband & I decided that I would stay home. I had been a dental assistant for going on 3 years. At first, I wasn't comfortable with the thought of leaving my "secure" job. I do not regret it, not one bit. It hasn't always been easy and I know not everyone out there can. (My own mom raised me on her own while working full time).

~Pictures of my pregnancy with Natalie almost 5 years ago.~


The point I really want to focus in on though is how my mind keeps spinning with ideas to start this or that. You see, I fantasize of how I could start my own B&B or run my own business, etc. It's not wrong to dream or reach your goals, but don't neglect what's in front of you either. Am I too preachy? I hope not...I honestly think I have gotten my eyes off focus with all the social media out there. It's hard not to. I actually took a long break from social media a while ago for some of these reasons...peering into other peoples lives that sometimes look so dazzling in comparison to our own. When in reality, it may just be glimpses of highlights, or because it's a time sucker. I want to be an inspiring person. I want to share the good life God has given me. I enjoy taking pictures and editing them. I enjoy taking pictures of my children especially. But I would like to use the example of food/cooking to make a point. The kitchen is the heart of our home. I enjoy cooking with my husband as he is an incredibly talented, creative cook. And now, it's something that we do together as a family.


~Natalie and I spending one~on~one time together making raspberry scones.~

He's taught me so much in the kitchen. I remember the first meal I made for him. Wait for it...ham and cabbage! I know, I can't believe I just let that one out of the bag. Can you imagine? It's a wonder he married me. (Let me go back, my husband has been to culinary school). You know that saying, "food is the way to a man's heart." Sheesh. I'm still mortified. I remember the first meal I made him as a married couple. I baked chicken breasts & veggies, but the chicken turned out overcooked and the veggies were watery. It was a hot mess. Let me tell you. Anyways, I've come a long way. There is always hope! He still amazes me, the things he can just throw together. The other night he made a tomato sauce using the simplest ingredients and it was so pure in taste yet so simple. Then when we didn't have much food in our house, he just whipped up these horderves using triscuits, avocados, tomatoes, mascarpone, and sirracha = umami. It's our thing so I share. Buuuut, that whole sharing can cause a whole host of jealousy/ or feelings of not being included/ fill in the blank for whose ever eyes see the pictures. I once read a quote that I absolutely love, "comparison is the thief to joy." Oh how I still personally struggle with contentment. Specifically, sometimes I just wish we could be in a bigger house as we are beginning to outgrow our current home then I read this quote, "little homes make for close families." While I'm sharing my heart, another area I have started becoming and showing discontentment in is getting my focus off not only being a homemaker, but I also clean homes. I think I actually told my husband "I'm just a maid." And it's not that I don't enjoy what I do because I do!! It's like I feel I want to do more. I want to pursue something. I want to be good at something. It's all in our heart attitude, isn't it? And finding that balance. I don't want to cut out social media entirely. I've taken breaks before, and I find it healthy. It's so distracting looking to see who the next like/comment is going to be from or all of a sudden becoming envious of another persons life. In the same token, I find encouragement, inspiration, not to mention my down time, etc. from social media.

I think for myself, my focus needs to be on Jesus and not finding approval from people. Also, I need to post something and then leave my phone in another room and just check when the kiddos are occupied or asleep. Time is so precious. Our calling as believers is important...to be making disciples of Jesus and busy doing the work He has called us to do. I need to focus on My King and the call He has put on my life which is leading my little ones to Him no matter what. I remember my grandma telling me if you don't remember anything else about me, remember Jesus, follow Him, hide His word in your heart and live for Him. Those are still powerful words to me. What kind of legacy am I leaving behind for my girls? Time will tell. What are some ways you handle social media? Please share your thoughts. "But godliness with contentment is great gain." ~1Timothy 6:6



~My Grandma and Natalie playing the piano together.~


~My sweet girls//my world.~

Comments

Popular Posts